Monday, August 2, 2010

Project

Unfortunately I do not have the space in my apartment to have my Sylvanians out on display. I have seen many peoples Sylvanian Families displays, and I must admit, I am jealous. Not only do I not have a place to display my Sylvanian Families collection, I don't even have a place to set them up when I want to play with them or photograph them. This makes me very unhappy. So the other day I was cleaning out my children's toy room, when tucked away behind a toy cabinet, I found a plain board (which used to be one of the shelves for the cabinet, but was unused). an idea popped into my head that I could use that board to set up my figures. Only problem, it was plain white and boring. I decided that since I have at least some artistic ability, so I could do something about it.
First, I got out my supplies. I have tons of paints, brushes, and other craft supplies because I often like to do arts and crafts. choosing a color for the base was easy as I only had one green in my art box. it is a Citris Lime, and I thought it would make a nice bright color for the grass. The paint I used was regular Acrylic paint.
After several coats of the Lime green, I painted pathways. this was only the first coat of paint for the pathways, so thats why it looks crappy and unfinished.
After many more coats of the brown, I put in some detail. Living in Philadelphia, I have always admired the cobble stone of the streets here downtown. It has such a old timey, vintage vibe to it, and I love that; so I decided that I wanted my Sylvanians to have the same. I also decided to put in some flowers. I did many colors of purple, raspberry, blue, pink and yellow. I painted them all different, and no two bushels of flowers are the same.
After allowing to dry for several hours, I used Mod Podge to seal it and give it a matte finish that would keep the paint from rubbing off on my figures. this was the most important step. I waited 3 hours between each coat, and applied 3 coats. The finished project I thought came out great. I now have a place to set up my Sylvanians when I want to take them out. It's not huge, but it's an okay size, and better than what I had before, which was nothing. And I had so much fun doing it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment