Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Project.


I've always wanted the Sylvanian Cake Shop, but I absolutely do not have the money to buy it. Last night I was brain storming, and I started to look up "shoe box dollhouses" on Google. Some of them looked really nice, and since I am artistic, I knew I could make one just as good, if not better. So this morning when I woke up, I pulled out this box from under my bed. I've had it for a few years. I used to store cards in it, but at some point I threw away all of the cards. I kept the box because I was sure I'd use it again at some point or another. This is not a regular shoe box. It is a very heavy cardboard box. It's one of those boxes you buy at a Crafts store. I think they're usually used for scrapbooking. I knew this would be the perfect box to use since it is so thick and sturdy. First I used a box cutter and cut out the window and door. It was a little tough to get it just perfect, but it turned out really good. Now, I knew I wanted some type of covering over the window, to make it look more realistic; so I used clear flimsy plastic. The kind thatcomes on the front boxes of Sylvanians when you buy a complete family. that worked perfect. I cut it a little bit bigger than the window, and then glued iton. Next, I chose some wallpaper. I didn't use dollhouse wallpaper, just some pretty scrapbooking paper that I had in my art supplies I was careful to make the openings for the door and window the same size with an exacto knife before using Mod Podge to glue it on. The Mod Podge was perfect for this because it was just like using wallpaper glue when you hang up wallpaper. and it also doesn't leave those pesky moist bumps in the paper. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Mod Podge is the shit. For the hardwood floor, I simply cut the rounded edges off of popsicle sticks and glued them down with quick dry Tacky Glue. I had toyed with the idea of painting the floor white when Ifirst started, but after seeing it complete, the wood really looked pretty with the the wallpaper, so I decided to leave it as is. Last, I started to decorate. I made a little menu out of some old gift tags I had left over from my little sister baby shower two years ago. I save everything art related, because you can always eventually use it for something. I wrote prices for the cakes, pies, cupcakes, ect. I tried to write it an fancy as I could in such tiny writing, I think it turned out pretty cute. I also made a picture frame and hung it on the opposite wall, and a magenta shelf between the door and window. Tomorrow I may look around and see if I have anything to make some curtains. I am not a great sewer, so I'm sceptical about that, but we'll see. Maybe for once my sewing will look somewhat acceptable. I also was thinking of adding a small little patio in the front for some outdoor tables. and I'd like to make some decor for the front of the shop. It also needs a "Bakery" sign, and window sills. I haven't done anything to the outside of the shop yet, but the inside looks really cute so far.

5 comments:

  1. Wow this shop is excellent!! :D I Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi just wondering if the outside of the house is painted or is that paper aswell? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outside is just the color that the box was :)

      Delete
  3. oh thanks i am thinking about making one but the box i am using is just plain brown do you think it will work to cover the outside in paper aswell as the inside? or should i just paint it with acrylic paint??thank you so much i love reading your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would work great. Just pick a nice patterned or colored scrapbook paper and use mod podge 😋

      Delete